Tuesday 11 August 2015

Opinions

You will realise one day that people like the sound of their own voice.

Some people think that their opinion is so important; they’ll talk over someone else to express it.  When a discussion takes place, the one with the loudest voice will drown out the more considered views.  I see it all the time, people will be chatting about something – I think I have something valid to add, I wait for a gap in the conversation, start to say my bit, only to find I’m talked over and ignored – like my input, my voice, isn’t worth listening to. So I shut up.

Now I used to think it’s because I talk rubbish, but in fact it’s because I don’t talk about the subjects they want to talk about or because I disagree with them, or maybe they just think I’m boring?  I often find their subject boring, mundane, pointless or just plain wrong – but at least I give them the courtesy of listening.

It’s said that people like that are assertive, are passionate about what they believe in.  I think they’re just ignorant.  Either that or they’re afraid.  Afraid that if someone else gets heard, then they’ll be ignored, shut out, talked over.


It frustrates me that I am often ignored.  I am angered by other people’s lack of manners, but shouting louder is not going to solve the issue.  Instead, choose your moments wisely, make sure what you say is valid and accurate and concise.  Great speakers don’t always shout their message loudest, they engage their audience, capture their attention and hold them enthralled.  If you can learn to do that, you could whisper your opinion and it would be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment