Saturday 26 June 2010

Karma

Karma. Most people see it as a see-saw, a balance of good vs bad. Unfortunately I don't think it's as simple as that. It would be easy to see Karma as some kind of cosmic Sage accounting package, balancing credits and debits - but all that would mean is; do enough good and you're off the hook when you do something bad. That doesn't work for me.
I once tried to explain it to a friend - for every bad act, a good one cancels it out - but that's not right. I can do a good act, say, help a friend dig their garden. So far, it's good. But then I wait for a thank you and already I'm turning my good deed into a bad one, because I'm seeking a reward, and to do an act expecting a reward (even if that reward is praise) is showing greed, a motive, a want. So my selfless act was actually a slightly selfish one - I'm looking for a pat on the back, a reward.
Not good.
Therefore I try to keep my deeds as selfless as possible. It's not always easy, but the fact that I'm consciously doing this must mean more good acts than bad ones.
My Karma is good.
: D

No comments:

Post a Comment