Friday 27 July 2012

Facebook

I read a blog the other day about someone that's given up their Facebook account and "switched off" a network of 555 friends.  She cited deciding to make her social networking 3D - not virtual, but real. She said she didn't want every aspect of her life to be published for everyone to see.  I'm paraphrasing, but I have one or two objections to raise.
1.  Who really has 555 friends?  I don't even know 555 people, let alone call them friends.
2.  Yes, we need to remember to keep our social network 3D, but there is also a place for Facebook and the like.
3.  There is only one person in control of what you publish on Facebook - you.  You don't need to show that you've done the ironing on your status.  You put on there your milestones, your achievements - but the ones you want to SHARE.  If you want to keep something private, keep it private - resist the temptation to post it!

What I like about Facebook is how you look at your list of friends, and you see you and someone else have a mutual friend and you think "I didn't know they knew each other"!
: D

No comments:

Post a Comment