Tuesday 20 April 2010

Choice and Stress

Have you noticed how having so much choice these days is stressful? I can't go shopping on my own anymore, because the list says "Pears, Melon, Apples" and yet when I get to the store, there are 5 different types of pears, four different types of melon, 7 different types of apple. So, which one? Green or Red? Sweet or sharp? English, French or Argentinian? Organic, Free-Range or reared in appalling conditions to maintain their cheapness?
I just know that if I choose wrong, I'll be questioned as to my choice when I got home - "Why did you get these? You know I like..." In that case, perhaps the list should have said "Sharp, green apples"?
When I was a child, I was on holiday caravanning, and my foster family sent me to the little on site shop to by some nice (as in pleasant) biscuits. I duly returned with Nice (as in coconutty) biscuits - which they all hated, and there was merry hell to pay. I was 6 years old - I followed my instructions to the literal letter. I think this experience has clouded my shopping experience forever more. Maybe that's why I find having too much choice so stressful?

No comments:

Post a Comment