Wednesday 21 April 2010

personal perspective or self-perception

I'm walking along the street, and I see people looking at me. I''m not Brad Pitt, I'm not shining in the sun like Edward Cullen, I'm not followed by an entourage of PA's, PR's and Paparazzi. I catch myself wondering what they're looking at. I even glance behind me in case Brad Pitt's there.

It occurs to me that they might be looking at me because I'm looking at them? But no, they started it. It was them looking at me that made me look at them. Are they having a similar conversation in their heads (substituting Angelina Jolie and Alice Cullen instead).

Which made me think about self perception. I look in the mirror and I see an ugly bloke. My wife tells me I'm handsome. I can't see it myself - so who do I believe? My own eyes, or hers?
When these people look across the street at me, are they thinking "Heck, He's unattractive!" (Or words to that effect) or are they thinking "Wow, I want a bit of that!" ??

I wish I knew.
What would I do with that knowledge if I did know? How would it affect my self-image? Would I suddenly suck the tummy in a bit more, puff the chest out a bit? Swagger???
Oh, maybe I'm better of ignorant of the truth? I can pretend they're thinking "He is SO cool!" and just let a little lift hit my stride. Delusional but happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment