Thursday 27 May 2010

Simplicity

I watched Avatar again tonight, and sometimes I wonder whether we haven't got it all wrong? We clutter our lives with stuff. We buy the latest this, get a bigger that, have more and more of the other. I look around my home and think, we have more stuff in this one room than my parents owned in their entire lives!
Some would say I'm richer than they were, but in a way I think I'm poorer.
I think less would be better. Less complicated, less wasteful.
I've been to some of these Victorian Street type museums, and looking at the rooms, shops and so forth, I see fewer things, but home-made things, things that have value (not cost), things that have meaning (not bling-factor), a comb that would have been handed down mother to daughter - not something purchased for next to nothing that will last a week and be thrown away.
I hope that one day I can return to the life where value means more than cost. When comfort is more cherished than a brand-name.
I value simplicity. I see greatness in the small things, and I'm teaching my daughter to see those things too. I hope she values it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment